The Smile

5.30.2013

The Smile | Nicole Franzen

The Smile | Nicole Franzen

The Smile | Nicole Franzen

The Smile | Nicole Franzen

It's 91 degrees in the city today (as I sit with an ice pack on my lap), three days ago it was in the 50's... and people don't believe in global warming or climate change, hah!

I've been shooting a lot of film lately, for a number of reasons. One of those being that I wanted to create a division between my personal and professional work and the ease of carrying a small camera around has me bringing it out on the daily. I've also been rather bored with my style and wanted to dabble in something different. I love the excitement of waiting for my film scans to return. I appreciate that its making me slow down and look at my compositions thoughtfully. These images were shot while lunching with the lovely Julia at The Smile. I love their interior and thought you would too.

Shot with a Canon AE-1 | Portra 800.

17 comments:

  1. I LOVE these photographs!

    Am so glad to hear you have taken the time to work out the best way to push yourself just a little bit more, and that working with film is helping you do this! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always tell people who want to start taking better photos to start off with film. It ALWAYS makes you "see" and compose more carefully.

    These are SO gorgeous and thoughtful. Love the grain on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! Can't believe you shot them just in between!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Can't believe you just shot them in between!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures and lovely place! I really admire your work... have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful. I started out with film, black and white mostly (though I love Portra too), then thought I better get a digital camera if I'm going to have a blog! But to be honest, I just really miss my film as I think I feel most comfortable with it. Seeing these gorgeous shots has inspired me to get my old camera out more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous little place...fantastic photos!...Hope you have a lovely weekend...xv

    http://vickiarcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the greenery!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photographs are so lovely :) I am one of those people who are looking forward to your film :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are an incredibly fantastic photographer. i adore your blog. so much life in your photos. thank you for sharing!
    xx
    http://petalandplume.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful photographs. Film is great to shoot with and under appreciated sometimes!

    organicyogikitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute place! The table by the window is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Film is and always will be a wonderful art form. I knew from that first image that you must have shot with film. It shows. I wish we took our film camera out from time to time. Maybe this will be the push needed. Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful images! For those of us who began with film, it's especially lovely to capture moments as only film can do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful;) may i ask which lab you're using? i've been getting back into film after a longgg break as well. i just tried indie film lab and was pretty happy although not sure i gave the right instructions for the feel i wanted. did you have your film processed straight or with any tweaking? ;)g

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger