Peach & Blueberry Cobbler

7.16.2012

IMG_0999IMG_1027
IMG_0858IMG_0966_1

So, I've been cooking my way through Nigel Slater's cookbook Ripe. So far, everything has been fabulous, and I've enjoyed his use sweetness and acid. Each dessert has been really well balanced and is teaching me a lot of about building flavors and creating a well rounded dessert. I picked up some white peaches and blueberries from the market last week. I decided to give his cobbler a whirl. I really liked the biscuit topping and will apply it to many fruits throughout the seasons. Whenever I make something like this my boyfriend and I are total pigs and it never lasts more then a day. I'm headed upstate for a shoot this week but leave you with this recipe to try. Excited to get out of the city for a little bit, heat wave part two. Hope everyone has a great week :)


Peach & Blueberry Cobbler
adapted from Nigel Slater's Ripe

for the cobbler crust

all-purpose flour - 1 1/4 cups
baking powder - 2 teaspoons
superfine sugar - 1 tablespoon
butter - 5 tablespoons
sour cream - about 2/3 of a cup

for the filling

large, ripe peaches - 3 (* I used 6 small white peaches)
blueberries - 12 ounces
juice of a lemon
superfine sugar - a tablespoon plus more for dusting
all- purpose flour - tablespoon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put the flour, a pinch of salt, the baking soda, sugara and butter in a food processor and blintz for a few seconds, until the mixture resembled a soft, fresh breadcrumbs. Tip into a bowl. Slice the peaches , pulling the pits out as you go and dropping the fruit into an overproof dish. Toss the sliced peaches with the blueberries, lemon juice, sugar and flour. At this poing it will look less than inviting, but worry not.

Mix the sour cream into the crumb mixture; you will have a soft dough. Break off walnut-sized pieces. Flatten them slightly and lay them on top of the fruit. Dust the rounds of dough with sugar, then bake in the preheated oven for twenty-five minutes, until the cobbler is golden and the fruit is bubbling.

13 comments:

  1. whoa, this is a must try!
    amazing photos as always

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious - cobbler is one of our favorite desserts! But I couldn't pin it! It says it's not allowed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blueberries are my favorite and this looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is enviably organic and graceful. It never feels staged or contrived. And cobbler is right up there with pie in my book. Hot out of the oven with buttermilk ice cream, it exceeds it. Especially in summer with all the berries and stone fruits...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to get my hands on that book! Cobblers and crumbles and buckles and grunts are my favourite things and yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to buy the book for a while now and never did, thinking that it would add to the weight of books that I will eventually have to ship across the ocean. However, every time I see one of his recipes online, the crave for it grows, and for these amazing desserts. Will have to convince myself eventually, I am sure I won't regret it! Amazing shots Nicole, I love the fresh atmosphere you created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow that bowl is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked at his books in the bookstore Kitchen Arts and Letters on Lexington, and was thinking what are the reviews. Thanks for sharing! I am ordering his books now! The cobbler is stunning, makes me want to grab that spoon off the screen and dig into the bowl... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Blueberry Cobbler looks delicious! I will have to try out the recipe. I am sure it will be a hit here.

    Do be sure to read my latest article, "A Magical Experience in the Luminarium" on http://www.othegoeurope.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos, especially the spoons. And there's something strangely magical in an image of thousands of blueberries...I just get lost in them.

    thestyleofbeing.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely scrumptious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum, yum, yum! this is beautiful nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drat - pinning is disabled. I really wanted to share this on Pinterest - with a link back to this post. I'm gonna make this cobbler.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger