Pan Fried Zucchini Blossoms

6.04.2012

IMG_4981
10


Rain drops hit the pavement on the streets of New York. Slick black asphalt, umbrella filled sidewalks and a slight chill in the air. An unexpected cool front moved in yesterday, I wore my rain boots and light coat. Mondays are my favorite time to go to the market. I like when its quiet and the rest of the city is at work. I'm lucky that I get to enjoy the city when its not packed to the gills. I often stay quiet on the weekends when the rest of the city is at play. The farmers told me they had enough of the rain for now. Their dedication is appreciated. I support them as much as I can. Someday, I will eat these in Italy, Fiori di Zucca. Learn more about them here.

IMG_4992

Pan Fried Zucchini Blossoms with Lemon & Mint Scented Ricotta

for blossoms

18-25 fresh zucchini blossoms
1 cup of ricotta
handful of finely chopped fresh herbs (i used mint)
the zest of one lemon
maldons
cracked pepper

for batter

1 cup of ap non bleached flour
1 cup of warm water
pinch of salt

olive oil or preferred oil for pan frying.

Mix flour, water and salt in a bowl. Whisk till smooth and set aside. To test the batter stick your finger in, if it coats nice and thick then its perfect. If a little runny add more flour if its too thick add more water.

In another bowl add a cup of ricotta, the finely chopped herbs, lemon zest and season. Taste. Take zucchini blossoms and make a small slice, remove the stamen and give it a rinse. Lay out flat to dry on a paper towel. Once dry use a small spoon to fill each blossom with about a dollop of ricotta filling. Fold over tightly and twist the top. You dont want the ricotta spilling out, but dont obsess over it. Once all stuffed heat a cast iron skillet with olive oil over medium heat.

Once your oil is hot work in batches. Lightly dip the blossoms in the batter and fry until crispy and flip, about 3 minutes a side. Place onto a paper towel to absorb any excess oil and season with sea salt.

A note about the recipe.

I will honestly say this was the first time I made this at home. The recipe may need some tweaking to perfection. Most of my recipes I trust my instincts. Some alterations in other recipes included adding egg to the ricotta mixture and using fizzy water in the batter (makes sense for a fluffier crust). Mine turned out delicious and I was really happy with them. The flavor profiles were the right choice. Use whatever fresh herbs you have on hand, the more the merrier. The lemon zest adds a perfect citrus note that I always love. I finished them with a squeeze of lemon juice, a few sprigs of fresh mint and more salt. Eat them fresh out of the pan for best results.

15 comments:

  1. I've never had them, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite summer food! My grandma literally kills them :)

     In Whirl of Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried zucchini flowers are one of my favourite things in the whole world. You've photographed them so beautifully here. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these... especially the mint. My husband is into frying things lately, so we'll have to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make the same thing in Greece too. Fried courgette blossoms are a classic.
    We use a specific Greek cheese for the filling, called anthotyro, meaning the blossom of the cheese, and it is incredibly light and flavorsome.

    Beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my first fried zucchini blossom last summer in Rhode Island. It was one of those perfect summer nights; we had been at the beach all day, our hair was still salty, and we had a pile of zucchini blossoms from the nearby farm that we had picked that morning. They were perfection. We are actually heading to the states tomorrow and we will be at the beach for a week and I'm hoping for repeat experience. I will definitely reference your recipe and let you know if I learn any tricks along the way. Oh, and I hope that cold front moves it butt outta the east coast, because after a cold start to spring here in Zürich, I'm ready for some sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So gorgeous. Trying these asap; although not sure when I'll get my hands on some fiori di zucca.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to try fried zucchini blossoms soon. These look so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos - and looks delicious! I've never heard of eating zucchini blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I used to live in Italy, I ate these often. So weird how tasty it is!! Thanks for the wonderful reminder of that awesome country :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Easily one of my favorite things to eat. You photographed them so beautifully! Love your work so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I'm inspired by this recipe, I've been looking for a new way to cook zucchini blossoms. I love your photography, very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looove this recipe, it's such a great celebration of spring and summer bounty.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger