Rhubarb Galette

5.01.2012

1

How is it May already? Time is moving so fast. I'm always on the look out for a great rhubarb recipe. So when I saw this straight up rhubarb galette I decided to give it a go. Its slightly tart and you most certainly need to like rhubarb, serve it with whipped cream and it really is a perfect balance of sweet and tart. Lovely.


Rhubarb Galette adapted from Bon Appetit


Ingredients

crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons (or more) ice water

topping
1 pound trimmed rhubarb, cut into 2-inch-long 1/4-inch-thick matchstick-size strips
1/4 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg yolk, beaten to blend

Method

Crust
Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons ice water; stir until dough clumps together, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 2 hours. Keep chilled. Let dough soften 10 minutes at room temperature before rolling out.

topping
Combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar in medium bowl; let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Place large sheet of parchment on work surface; sprinkle parchment with flour. Roll out dough on parchment to 12-inch round. Transfer dough on parchment to large baking sheet. Starting in center of dough round, arrange rhubarb strips in concentric circles and slightly overlapping atop dough, leaving 1-inch plain border at edge. Gently fold dough border up over outer edge of rhubarb topping, folding and crimping dough to create decorative edge. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over rhubarb. Dot rhubarb with butter. Brush dough edges with beaten egg. Sprinkle edges with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake galette until rhubarb is tender and juices are bubbling, about 1 hour. Cool galette at least 30 minutes.

They serve it with Creme Friache, I used whipped cream.

rhubarb

12 comments:

  1. Looks like success, Nicole! I love the rustic beauty of a galette, and might have to add this one to my to do list. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jess! As soon as my rhubarb is ready for the picking, I'm so going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhubarb, Raddish - these were never in my shopping list but probably now I have to change my outlook just because of the way they look - thanks to your amazing photography!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Nicole! I love galettes and how the rhubarb looks like stripes :) Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Was the sugar able to seep into the long stalks? Or was the middle of the stalk a bit more bitter? I typically chop the stalk into 1/2" pieces, but this is just so beautiful with the long pieces. This would be perfect for a dinner party/brunch - pretty to look and and easy to assemble. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember your instagram shots of this and couldn't wait to see the recipe and the larger photo.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe looks fantastic! I just love your photos as well. I am actually hosting a rhubarb linky party at 2sisters2cities.com as part of our Fresh Produce Tuesday series. I would love if you submitted this recipe!

    -m

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing, love rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are just amazing! I am so in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this last night...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos... but I'm missing 2 spoons of sugar in the method?
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger