A Spring Pilaf

4.23.2012

IMG_8639IMG_8336
IMG_8670IMG_8655
IMG_8326

My recent trip to the farmers market was one of the best so far this season. The start to a bountiful summer ahead. Spring produce gets people excited. The chance to start cooking with variety of bright green produce is a nice change. Asparagus has finally arrived, as well as some lovely spring onions, baby greens and ramps. I was looking for a nice recipe that could incorporate it all and I decided to go with one from Nigel Slater's book Tender. Its a stunning book and I always envy the photography. In fact I think its safe to say that the photography in Nigel's books are amongst my favorites. The styling simplistic and the lighting dark and moody. He lets the ingredients shine in all of their rustic gritty splendor. I switched out a few ingredients in this based on availability. The core spices are really a star in this dish.



A take off Nigel Slater's recipe from Tender. Serves 2.

Ingredients

fresh fava beans - 2 handfuls
a bunch of asparagus
basmati rice - 2/3 of a cup
butter - 4 tablespoons
green cardamon pods - 6 very lightly crushed
black peppercorns - 6
a cinnamon stick
cloves 2-3, no more
cumin seeds - a small pinch
spring onions - 2
ramps -2

Method

Cook fava beans in a deep, lightly salted boiling water for four minutes, until almost tender, then drain. Trim the asparagus and cut into short lengths. Boil or steam for three minutes, then drain. Wash rice three times in cold water. Cover with warm water, add a teaspoon of salt, and set aside for a good hour.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the bay leaves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cloves and cumin seeds. Stir them in the butter for a minute or two, until the fragrance wafts up. Drain the rice and add it to the warmed spices. Cover with about 1/4 inch of water and bring to a boil. Season with salt, cover and decrease the heat to a simmer. Finely slice the spring onions and ramps.

After five minutes, remove the lid and gently fold in the asparagus, fava beans, spring onions and ramps. Replace the lid and continue cooking for five or six minutes, until the rice is tender but has some bite to it. All the water should have been absorbed. Leave, with the lid on but the heat off, for two to three minutes. Remove the lid and add a tablespoon of butter if you wish, check the seasoning, and fluff gently with a fork.

Note - He uses fresh herbs in addition in his recipe, including parsley and thyme. He serves yoghurt mixed with fresh mint, salt and a little olive oil as a accompaniment. I topped ours with feta cheese and it made for a really lovely addition. Feel free to adjust veggies based on whats in season. I also served ours with a handful of spring greens. I've always loved mixing up my salad with rice. Its delicious!!


19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love that Nigel Slater recipe. And I agree, the photos in that book are so understatedly pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are amazing Nicole. Such a story through color. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Stunningly beautiful that last photo. I adore lilacs ~ the scent takes me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like spring! The flowers are finally starting to bloom where I am and my garden is starting to grow... I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!

    The arrival of spring produce is exhilarating in such an odd and welcome way. I always buy more than I can eat in the first few weeks of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole - such a wonderful, timely post. I bought fava beans at the farmer's market here on Saturday and I've been trying to figure out how to best put them to use. They are such an investment, with shelling and then boiling and then shelling again, that I want to be sure I find the perfect recipe for them. This just might be it. We don't have ramps here in Zürich, but I'll make a substitution, perhaps with something I find at the market tomorrow morning. I totally agree about the photos in Tender, they are so simple, but so layered in darkness with just the right number of highlights. Beautiful photos and post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your green and purple color palette in this little series... I've made a riff of this recipe before, but I love your take on it... What are the yellow flowers in the photo of your plate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its either arugula, tatsoi or mustard green flowers :) they taste delicious

      Delete
  8. I am inspired!! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your blog! I definitely need to check out Nigel's cookbook. The photography sounds like just what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those lilacs are perfection - so vibrant & lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Farmer's markets in the spring are my favorite. So much vibrant color and variety. Your acquired produce is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These photos are so beautiful. I love 'em. And yeah, I'm super excited about the farmer's market lately. Spring produce is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nigel Slater's recipes are simply divine and your photos are the perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I need to make this for my friends visiting this weekend...they'll LOVE it. Your photos are gorgeous, btw. Can't get enough of them. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your site, and I am loving it :)
    www.allthingspriya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ingredients, the recipe, the vibrant green and violet colours ... all in all just a perfect image of this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AWESOME...THANKS FOR SHARING...WE LOVE THE SPRING TIME RECIPE :0)

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger