Roasted Ramps

4.08.2012

2


4


Sometimes it really is the simple things. When you have top notch fresh ingredients, cooked with love, magic happens. Roasted ramps with a perfectly poached egg was an utter delight. A perfect harmony of flavors, a satisfying snack. Serve with toast for a delicious breakfast. Ramps grow wild here on the east coast during the Spring months. In the leek family, they have a strong garlicky taste. When roasted they become slightly sweet. Ramps are used in a wide variety of ways, my favorites being grilled, roasted & pickled.


3


Ingredients

1 bunch of ramps
fresh local eggs
sea salt
pepper
olive oil

Method

To clean ramps, remove the thin outer layer. Rinse under cold water removing any grit. Trim off the roots. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and toss ramps with a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes until tender and leaves slightly caramelized. Serve with a poached egg, seasoned and drizzle of olive oil. Yes, its that simple. When I was shooting with Food52 a few weeks back, they have perfect poached eggs method, you should definitely check out. Some other lovely ramp recipes that have caught my eye.

Hungry Ghost's Nettle & Ramp Butter
My New Roots Wild Leek Pesto
Gourmette's Spring Risotto
Food52's Sweet & Spicy Pickled Ramps

Also I have great news! I was nominated for best food photography on a blog from Saveur. It would mean the world to me if you gave me your vote.

11 comments:

  1. Great news Nicole!
    I am not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love simple meals like this. Congrats on the nom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos, as always! I don't think ramps grow in Oklahoma, or at least I've never heard of them! I'm intrigued. Oh and YAY for your nomination! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a poached egg is my incomparable comfort food. your photos of this subject and more are incomparable. lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations for your blog and your nomination! your pictures are the best!!!
    my vote is for you, of course...
    good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out! And, congratulations again on your nomination. My vote is in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge congratulations on the nomination, I'll be voting for you! And what a gorgeous, simple post to celebrate with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I'm totally in love with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love ramps and roasting them brings out all that wonderful flavour.

    And congrats on the Saveur nom, it's well deserved.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger