Poached Rhubarb with Yoghurt, Pistachios & Honeycomb

4.20.2012

IMG_8574


When I saw this morning that rhubarb had just hit the market, a wave of excitement ran through my body. Yes I am one of those, one of those that gets super excited as each piece of produce enters season. My boyfriend is a huge rhubarb lover, being British he grew up eating it. I literally ran to the market with force. I knew that the first harvest was going to be small and go fast. I found the one stand that was selling it, grabbed a bundle and considered it a success! We usually make a crumble but I decided to do a quick poach. I had some strawberries macerating from yesterday and honeycomb that went lovely with greek yoghurt. Topped with a few pistachios for a pleasant crunch.


2


Ingredients

1 pound of rhubarb
3/4 cup of turbinado sugar
2 cups water
vanilla bean

greek yoghurt
strawberries macerated in sugar or fresh fruit
pistachios
honeycomb or plain honey

Method

Trim edges off rhubarb and cut into 2 inch slices. Place into a medium saucepan, cover with 2 cups of water, 3/4 cup of sugar and vanilla from the pod. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until tender (15-20) minutes. Set aside to cool. Fresh strawberries macerated in raw sugar for 20 minutes, until juices form and strawberries tender. Place ingredients around yoghurt. A perfect spring breakfast.

1


4


IMG_8577

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb is one of my absolute favourites and this is such a delightful way to serve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems as the perfect breakfast, the start of a love story!

     In Whirl of Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I'm such a rhubarb hater when it's on its own, but if you start adding yogurt and strawberries, I'm totally in! And peonies are back! Who doesn't like those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum, looks like dessert for breakfast. And I love that marble...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I've never tried anything like that before; it looks delish though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good grief strawberries and rhubarb are a great combination! thanks for the beautiful shots and motivation to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a bright, happy plate! I now want this for breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Rabarbar but it's so hard to find in Italy! The honeycomb is an amazing idea! Bello!
    Have a nice day!
    Barbara (Mug, with sunny regards from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! In Belgium we always eat Rhubarb with strawberries...

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks so delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  12. My word, that's a beauty! Still waiting to get my hands on some rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is insanely beautiful, Nicole. Rhubarb has never looked prettier! Rhubarb crisp is one of my faves, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like such a delicious start to the day!

    | Bright Green Laces |

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so simple, easy to make, yet so delicious. Love it!
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger