In the studio with Josh Dworkis

4.03.2012

15


5


4


12


1


6


9


10


3


11


13


7


14


2

I fell in love with Josh's cheese boards when I stumbled across them last year at Whisk (no longer). They stood out with elegance next to its boring cousins made from bamboo, all lacking character in comparison. I asked the lady at the front "Who makes these?". She told me he was actually a furniture maker and this was only a side project, giving me a way to contact him. Finding out his workshop was in my neighborhood in Greenpoint, I set up a visit. The first time I went to visit Josh he was kind enough to give me some of his beautiful boards. "Make beautiful pictures Nicole" he said. There is nowhere to buy them online, each one is individual and unique. If you are interested in viewing his work or chatting with him, shoot an email to joshdworkis@earthlink.net. His furniture is seamless, intricately crafted and elegant. You can potentially find the cheese boards at Eastern District. A few other projects have included building planter boxes which will be sold at Hayseed's Farm Supply, and beautiful hand crafted beehives via Brooklyn Homesteader. I plan on shooting those as soon as I can.

IMG_1373

12 comments:

  1. awesome. I love seeing behind-the-scenes stuff like this, especially when there's such great craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I want to visit his studio (and maybe get a board ;) )!!!! Such a manly, inspiring space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. solid and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gifted artist! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful images! I love your studio visits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And make beautiful pictures you did...gorgeous photography, extraordinary boards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful wooden boards he makes, and that dresser is amazing! Thanks for sharing this.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a breathtaking series. The b&w with the amazing window light is def my fav. Love that studio!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This workshop is simply amazing. I can almost smell the wood. And the pieces...I have no words. So well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an amizing artist Nicole. Please can u juet tell me what camera/lens you are using? (please respond if you can to my blog http://surfinheart.blogspot.com)

    muschos besitos/maria angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these round boards. Really wonderfull.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger