Empanadas

3.02.2012

3


Empanadas were one of my favorite things to eat while living in Argentina. Since Argentina has strong Italian roots, it inspires much of their cooking. A typical evening with friends will include ordering a couple dozen empanadas while sipping on fernet and coke, another local favorite. Most common empanadas are Carne which is typically ground beef with a variety of spices, olives and even hard boiled eggs. Jamon y Queso (ham and cheese), Pollo (chicken), Caprese (tomato, basil, mozzerella), Humita (sweet corn) and one of my favorites is Roquefort y Apio (celery & blue cheese). Empanadas are usually baked (those referred to as Salteñas, from the region of Salta or even Bolivia) and some are fried (those coming from the region of Tucumán). Empanadas are made in most Latin countries differing slightly from each place. Caribbean and Central American empanadas are often served with hot sauce, while in Argentineans tend to not be huge fans of spicy food. (Generalizing here, Latin friends feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)


4

IMG_2265


I'd thought about making empanadas from scratch, but hadn't been quite as inspired as when I saw Kasey's Beef Empanadas on Turntable Kitchen. She too, had fallen in love with them while on a trip in Argentina. I decided it was time to teach myself the ways and like with most baking, practice makes you better. Its an art form to make any sort of crust look consistent and perfect. Having a previous track record of terrible luck with baked goods, I must say I gave myself a pat on the back for these. While they were far from looking perfect, they tasted delicious. They took me right back to the lovely summers I spent in Buenos Aires, drinking large bottles of Quilmes with friends on the cobblestone streets of Palermo Viejo.


102

1

IMG_2313


Empandas
Makes one dozen (6 caprese, 6 celery & blue cheese)

Celery & Blue Cheese Filling

2 stalks of celery
half of a yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
blue cheese (Roquefort or Danish blue cheese)
butter
S+P

Caprese

2 ripe tomatoes
fresh mozzerella
fresh basil
S+P


Saute diced onions, garlic and celery in butter lightly till tender, about 4 minutes. Season and remove from heat, allow to cool. Spoon in about 2 tablespoons of filling and the blue cheese. For the caprese, chop tomatoes removing the seeds and discarding any liquid. Place inside and lay a few pieces of torn basil and cubed mozzarella, season.

For Dough I used this recipe from Epricurious Place ingredients in the center of the rolled empanada dough. Fold over dough and pinch the edges with your fingers or a fork to seal. Make two small incisions in the top of the dough. Brush with one beaten egg and place into a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake for 20-25 till crispy and nicely browned. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Que Rico!


2

IMG_2269

20 comments:

  1. these look fantastic! and you call yourself "not a baker" :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make food photography look so easy!

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these look so good. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your empanadas look beautiful, and I'm so touched to see that I inspired you to make them :) We make a huge batch and freeze them (Matt just finished off the last of them for lunch...) Have a great weekend, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They exist in Portugal also.Your look divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered your blog a few days ago, I didn't know you have lived in my country. It was a surprise to read about empanadas here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you made empanadas from scratch! How awesome. They look pretty amazing,I must say. My mouth is watering here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your empanadas look perfect! RE-BUENAS!!!!,like we say in Buenos Aires.
    Excellent post. I miss Buenos Aires so very, very much!, and sharing empanadas with friends, family and a frozen Quilmes Imperial...

    Have the best weekend!
    Big hugs!
    Inés

    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoyed these images. You've captured something really special here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knock out post N, you nailed your inspiration exactly. I want to eat them up so badly!! And I also have a favorite photo duo, the 2nd to the very last..The rolled out dough against the beauty of that pale mustard building, ahh! Such a special collage of photos going on here. So good SO GOOD! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi nicole! this empanadas look amazing! many many many years ago i lived in ny, and i use to make empanadas from scratch... is a lot of work, but totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i grew up with empanadas. mother filled them with mince and herbs. and then i was silly enough to become vegetarian. :) it never occured to anyone in the family to make a veggie version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ever since going to South America when I was 18 I have loved empanadas. I always loved the taste but never thought of them as particularly pretty Yours are so incredibly beautifully shot, I think you've changed my mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These images are scrumptious!! I love your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  15. want my mother's recipe for the best spinach empanadas in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm getting emotional just looking at your pictures..I miss Argentina and its food so badly!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love empanadas! We call them " pastel" in Brazil!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Celery & Blue Cheese Filling sounds nice, got to taste it :)
    In Sri Lanka we call them "PATIS" !

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger