Cucumber Tzatziki Salad

3.14.2012

IMG_4221

Hey guys, hope everyone is having a lovely week. Its been really warm here in New York and my winter weight has got to go. Now that its getting warmer I'm craving light yummy salads again. I love Tzatziki and I worked in a restaurant that used to serve it with black sesame crusted lamb. I would regularly take the yoghurt sauce and cucumber and eat it over greens. While the original Tzatziki is considered a sauce originating from Turkey and Greece which is served with bread or as a side. Its cooling refreshing taste is a nice contrast to any spicy rich food. I love this salad and developed it to be my own by incorporating Pimentón (a smokey paprika from Spain) cumin and lemon.

Ingredients

1 large cucumber
1 lemon
1 8oz container of greek youghurt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon pimenton or cayenne
1 tablespoon olive oil
S+P to taste
Fresh herbs (cilantro, mint, parsley, dill) all or one is a nice addition.
mesclun greens

Method

Peel cucumber and de-seed using a spoon. With a mandoline cut cucumber on a bias on the second to thinnest setting. You can also cut this by hand if you dont have a mandolin or julienne. Add cucumber to a bowl and the greek yogurt. Add the seasonings, juice from half a lemon and olive oil. Mix well and taste. If you like more cumin, add more, more spice? add more, more citrus? add more lemon. Lightly toss greens with a little olive oil and lemon juice, place cucumber on top of the greens. I also like adding toasted sesame seeds or Gamasio (sesame salt). A warm pita would be lovely, makes two salads.

12 comments:

  1. Yum! What a fantastic idea for a salad, especially when you feel like a clean tasting bowls of greens. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just put a dollop of greek yogurt on a spinach salad with garbanzos and lemon today and, while reveling in its deliciousness, wondered if this was odd behavior. And then I saw your post! So glad to know I am not alone, and I will surely try your pimenton-spiked tzatziki. (Also, I think this is the first time I've commented, so I'll mention too that I have long loved your photography. It is really, really lovely and always thoughtful.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple ideas with flavours that really go together are often the best. It's getting hotter where I live so this is just the sort of thing I feel like eating now. Beautiful image as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, will def be trying this combo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I've never had tzatziki like this. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautifully simple idea. I love making my own garlicky homemade tzatziki but have never spooned it over salad - will definitely be trying now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not really one for salad, but this sounds sooo good (and your still just adds to the deliciousness). Nomm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the additions you chose for this sauce. That would make it even more savory and delicious. I've never served it over greens but I shall now. :-) Perhaps with a dollop of hummus. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salad sounds so perfect and flavorful Nicole. You left us peeping into those two bowls for the tzatziki, it's hiding a little. I love that. Makes you just want to get in there and spread it all around, all over those greens. :) ps. I ventured off again. I'm in sd, but I'll be back in a week or so!! Must catch up and eat some yummy stuff. And if you're down, yoga to balance it all? Anyways, such a great salad! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tzatziki makes everything taste soooo good.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger