Grilled Cheese

2.21.2012

IMG_1978

I dont know about you all, but I love grilled cheese! I love sandwiches of all kinds, I don't discriminate. One of my favorite combinations is cheese, tomato & avocado, warmed to perfection on buttery toasts. I have something to admit to you all, I put potato chips in my sandwiches, they are usually salt and vinegar. Something about the richness of the cheese being cut by the vinegar, a perfect balance. As I may of mentioned in the past, I adore anything pickled and put pickles in my sandwiches too. Hope you don't think I'm weird. If you havent tried it, your missing out. One of my favorite flavor combinations lately is an old aged cheddar, a strong spicy mustard and pickles. I am telling ya! you have got to try it. Grilled cheese is a perfect lunch, so easy and always satisfying. Whats your favorite grilled cheese combo?

Ingredients

sourdough boule
irish aged cheddar
tomato
butter
mustard (optional)
baby dill pickles
salt & vinegar chips

Method

I've figured out that the way to make a perfect grilled cheese is to actually butter the bread. If you put butter directly in a pan, it gets lost. Butter lightly each side of the bread and cook on low- medium heat, till bread is browned and the cheese melted. Season with a sprinkle of salt.

Other Grilled Cheese Ideas

Ricotta & Beet Greens
Cheddar, Tomato, Onion & Avocado
Adding fruits & preserves.
Adding pickled vegetables & olives
Adding greens! Fresh (even better if you lightly dress) or Sauteed.

17 comments:

  1. This looks so good! My husband was born and raised in Ireland, and he says every pub served grilled ham, cheese, and onion sandwiches, which remain his absolute favorite. I like a simple white cheddar grilled cheese best. Those potato chips and pickles are making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently been on a grilled cheese with guacamole kick. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my grilled cheese with a bowl of tomato soup. :) But there's also a bar here in Tampa that makes it on rye bread with pear and cheese. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love grilled cheese and aged cheddar is one of the best things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my very existence depends on grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. are those cornichons? yum. i love my grilled cheese on rye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheese , tomato and avocado is the best combination ever and I am with you on pickles I would eat any kind, any time. when I was pregnant this was my biggest craving... this sandwich looks delicious and is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crisps in sandwiches are SO good! As is tomato, avocado and cheese. You've managed to make this simple lunch look so inviting. Yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My absolute favorite grilled cheese is the Pesto Pesto (yes, that's pesto two times) Grilled Cheese at Philadelphia's Metropolitan Cafe. Add some cornichons on the side and I'm a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love grilled cheese... never tried it with pickles though! One of my faves is peach or apricot jam, prosciutto, and a flavorful, nutty, semi-hard cheese like Dubliner or aged Gouda. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this, lady---I love pickles, too. Such good confort food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicole, I'm a HUGE pickle fan. My new thing has been pickled red onions. They provide the perfect crunch and vinegar flavor to sandwiches, like your potato chips do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There was a time (last finals week) when I'm prettyyyy sure grilled cheese was my midnight study snack. Every night. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. John (Raleigh)3/9/12, 12:06 PM

    I had one recently with brie, pear and arugula. Amazing, balanced mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    For mine, I used, in addition to the tomato and chips, Kerrygold Garlic & Herb Butter and 12 month aged cheddar.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger