Birthdays

2.10.2012

IMG_1625

We have a few birthdays to celebrate around here. First, being that it's my boyfriends birthday today, so I baked him Nigel Slater's carrot cake with marscapone frosting from his book Tender. Secondly it's been two years of blogging!! As many of my readers might notice I am not one to bake. If I make sweets it usually entails a crumble or something that requires no skill in the baking department. I'm a savory gal all the way and I'm always in awe of the amazing pastry chefs I meet or the fabulous dessert driven blogs I read. Today while trying to ice this, which I did terribly by the way. I was particularly amazed by what some of my fellow bloggers do! So talented. To be honest I'm not too proud of this cake and thought twice about posting it but I worked all day on it and said to myself you have to! With baking I am so out of my comfort zone, making adjustments? I would have no clue on how to tackle it.

The last two years of blogging has opened up so many doors its pretty phenomenal. It's introduced me to some absolutely amazing people around the world and I couldn't be any happier that I started it. One freezing winter night in February two years ago, I made the decision to combine both my loves. My endless love for cooking and photography, I had always done both and decided to combine them. My passion for food is something that has never faded, but shooting food was something entirely different. I taught myself through practicing a lot. I have some pretty mediocre photos from back then, a bit embarrassing. As I continue to grow and learn I hope you all will stick with me. Thanks to all my lovely readers for your support. X N

24 comments:

  1. Congrats and happy birthday to your blog and your man! That cake is so gorgeous. I love Tender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blog Birthday!!!! And to your boyfriend too! I think your cake looks delicious! I'm glad you are continuing to blog as I admire your photographs & reading your snippets :)

    Cheers!

    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the 2 years, and good job on the carrot cake! I'm not much of a baker myself, but hey, what's life without challenge huh? So happy to have met you through blogging my friend, looking forward to sharing more in-person coffees and chats in the future. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you, Nicole! Such an awesome feat and you're doing such a marvelous job with the foods and the photos. From one savory gal to the other, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your british bloke! I'm glad you posted the cake because it's beautiful. And I'm sure he's chuffed at the sight and taste of it.

    And a big happy 2 years of blogging. I'm glad I stumbled across your blog months ago. It's one of my favourite places to visit.

    Cheers to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks pretty darned good to me! Pleeeeeasssse post the recipe???

    Congratulations on your 2 years of bloggery! So happy to have you, your always wonderful photos, and your blog on the internets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I love Carrot cake!
    Happy birthday to your boyfriend and your blog. :D

    Yours truly,
    Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! :) That cake looks good to me. Would you post the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on two years blogging, Nicole! (And happy birthday to your man) You're a bit hard on yourself regarding this cake- I think it looks just lovely. I'll take handmade and flawed over clinical and perfect any day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on two years of blogging here in this beautiful space. I have my 2 year anniversary next week, and I agree -- it's been amazing. I'm so glad that I have found yours (a tip from my friend, Tami of Running with Tweezers).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! :) and Happy birthday to yoy blog! :)

    your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a tasty looking cake! And congratulations on your blog-o-versary, I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been meaning to say CONGRATULATIONS all week. Thanks for the coffee on Tuesday. My b-day had such a sweet start that morning. I would love to talk soon. AND, I found you a beekeeper in BK b/c it's legal now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy blog-o-versary! That cake looks pretty darn good to me too...if you can't finish it I'll happily polish off a slice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations. I am looking forward to all your inspiring and beautiful posts and photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually think the cake looks quite delicious! Maybe not "perfect" like some people's confections, but I can just imaging cutting into that delicious mascarpone icing... mmm.

    Sad you couldn't share the recipe! :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. happy belated blog birthday ;-)

    I bet that cake for your man tasted gooooood ... damn it, now I want cake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love to you. thanks for inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know what you're talking about! This cake looks delicious! The simple things in life are also the most delicious. I actually don't like overfrosted cakes. This is a humble beauty that makes me want to dig right it. Congrats on your blog birthday!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cake looks amazing! Can we order online?
    I'd like to share with you a cool new application called Birthday Slam:
    http://www.birthdayslam.com
    We promise to make birthdays fun,easy and social.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cake is beautiful and happy birthday to your site...wishing you many more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's awesome! and that cake...i'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just found your blog - through kinfolk's twitter ;) Hope to meet you Sunday evening!! Your blog is gorgeous.... and this photo - mmmm! Happy [belated] blog birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been here reading you for a while now and I'll stick with you. Happy 2nd birthday!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger