Mussels & Fries

1.23.2012

2
IMG_0049
3
IMG_0023
IMG_0263 (1)
1
IMG_0291

Mussels & Fries

2 pounds of mussels
fresh fennel bulb
2 cloves of garlic
2 shallots
6 oz of a Belgian style ale or wheat beer
sea salt & pepper
butter
fresh thyme
lemon


2 russet potatoes
oil for frying


Method

When buying mussels make sure they are tightly closed and smelling fresh. Any mussels that are open or cracked, discard. When buying/storing mussels never place into a plastic bag. They will suffocate. Keep them in a colander with ice. They are a living thing and need to be cared for properly or they will die. To clean them use a light brush to remove any excess sand and grit. If the beards haven't been removed, remove them. Mussels cook in no time, and have very little prep. I went with a wheat beer to steam them in, but you could use white wine. The nice thing about mussels is that they are very mild in flavor, nothing too scary for unadventurous seafood eaters. A good measurement to go by; a pound of mussels per person and one potato per person for fries.

Mince shallots and garlic. Shave about a cup of fennel on a mandolin. In a large deep sided saute pan on medium-low heat add a dollop of butter. Melt and add garlic, shallot and fennel. Season with sea salt & pepper. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme and 6 oz's of beer, bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes to start infusing the beer. Add the mussels and cover. Cook for 6-8 minutes until all the mussels have opened. Discard any that have not opened. Place mussels in a bowl and add another dollop of butter to the juice left in the pan. Melt the butter and pour the sauce over top the mussels. Season with a little sea salt and a squeeze of lemon. Serve with bread or fries.

For fries, I peeled and cut two idaho potatoes. Using a deep pot, heat oil over medium heat to 350 degrees. Always be careful when frying, its no joke. I fried in oil for 6-8 minutes until crispy and seasoned with salt. Lay down newspaper and make a mess! Fun times.

29 comments:

  1. absolutely wonderful, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love mussels and fries ,great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just had to one-up me with the mussels.... : ) You win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite Dutch meal, the one I get every time I go to Amsterdam. :-) Mmm, I'm craving them something fierce now!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belgium memories. Oh so nice Nicole, so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh this reminds me of brussels so much- GORGEOUS pics- stunning post- i am treating myself to this recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos and the yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photos, Nicole! I love, love, love the word 'Amazin' on the newspaper peeking out underneath the mussels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love mussels in beer with fries, Nicole. Stunning post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowz. This looks so so delicious. I wish I were by the seaside eating this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is comfort right here! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!, I just found out your blog and I am very happy because is amazing, beautiful photos. Have a lovely day!.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! The mussels and fries. A good home fries is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like this goes without saying with your photos, Nicole, but they are gorgeous! Always. I can't stomach mussels, but I'm happy eating good fries with beer any day. Yum yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is the reason I live in Belgium :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. coming from the country of mussels and fries we can only applaud this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you combine bw and colour photos! And the homemade fries! Nomnomnom! Been a long time I haven't made it, need to make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible!!!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. ah, a match made in heaven. so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous photos! Nothing looks better than a pile of mussels. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, Nicole....this looks absolutely divine! Moules Frites is one of my all time favourites and never thought to make them at home...thanks for a gorgeous recipe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do recognize with nearly every one of the ideas
    you have shown of this post. They are extremely convincing but will
    certainly work. Still, the articles are very short
    for beginners. Is it possible you kindly extend them a bit from the next
    occasion? Thank you the post.
    Visit my website : sitedata.info

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is a restaurant here that serves this and it is out of this world. Yours looks just like it and we have it featured on our site today. Come on over to see it at www.noshingwiththenolands.com Cheers, Tara

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger