Citrus Season & a Few Mentions

1.06.2012

IMG_8391

In celebration of citrus season, I give you the image above which was taken for a Whole Foods Market Cooking shoot. Does anyone have a nice recipe for a citrus marmalade? Speaking of citrus did you guys see the beautiful post from Aran? She is in the heart of it, so jealous. I am going to attempt homemade english muffins and what better then a citrus marmalade to go with.

In part of my new years resolution I mentioned I wanted to try and make more from scratch and buy less things packaged. Which I already do very little of, I guess I should clarify that a little. Making my own breads is a challenge I am looking into. The only thing I bought canned was beans and that was mainly because I decided what I want to eat the day of. Being better about having beans soaked and even freezing them in big batches is something I am going to start doing. While I cant make my own milk, I can make some cheeses and butter. I would love to try making fresh mozzarella, ricotta and other fresh cheeses. If you have any great recipes you would like to share I'm all ears. I've wanted to make my own preserves for ages, but space and storage is a problem. Also pickling which I intend to explore in the Summer months. Soon enough it will be ramp season! This month is already flying by. I few things I forgot to mention.

2

W

If you have the latest copy of W magazine, I have a little photo that I took for Maialino on page 20. I'll take it :) You can also see it online here.

I also had a nice intervew where I share my insights on photography with Digital Photographer.

12 comments:

  1. I just made english muffins and have been wishing I had some marmalade to go with them. Cooking your own beans is so much better than canned, the taste and texture are much more enjoyable.

    You can easily make some dairy products. Ricotta, creme fraiche and even yogurt can be made without much special equipment. I have recipes on my blog for all three, but I'm sure you can find them other places as well. As you may have noticed I love making as much as I can from scratch and always hope to encourage others to do so as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Lovely shot. Would love to hear a good orange marmalade recipe if you find one you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Nicole! What a lovely photo. And, how exciting to be in W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I just love your blog/ photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to make more food from unprocessed food check out an old (1973 or before) Joy of Cooking. They tell you how to make EVERYTHING from scratch! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congratulations on the W feature!! That's fantastic news, you're an immensely talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on the feature and your goals for 2012 sound fabulous, less prepackaged food is always a good thing! I'm going to be baking more of my own gluten free bread this year, I've so many bookmarked recipes I decided I had to bake them all this year. There are so many good from scratch blogs and recipes out there, I know Donna Hay just did a fresh ricotta recipe in her last mag (or one before) I'm sure that will be online somehere.

    Goodluck and can't wait to experience 2012 with you through your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cool! congrats on your feature :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shot, and congrats on the W feature. I fell in love with your photos on Food52! I make as much as I reasonably can by hand - some weeks I'm better than others, in truth. But I have a great Farmer's Cheese on my blog that has been very popular. You might also want to check out the Eating Rules and Punk Domestics blogs. Last October, Eating Rules ran a month-long blogfest on going unprocessed and had lot of great recipes for doing things from scratch. Good luck! I look forward to reading more of your blog in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love citrus jams and one of my favorite is Campari-Bitterorange.

    Simply cut a few organic oranges with their skin (carefully wash before) into small cubes and soak in water overnight - use just enough water that all oranges are covered.

    Next day, add preserving sugar (about 1:1), bring to a boil, add a good shot of Campari (optional) and puree with a handheld blender, keep boiling for about 5 minutes, then fill into clean jars.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The harmony of colors, feelings, natural colors, natural, I have my house decorated with your ideas I think are wonderful and charming with you needed help I got it.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger