An Untraditional Caesar

12.04.2011

IMG_7581

So I will start by sharing my beef with the traditional Caesar Salad, that being that I hate anchovies. I have tried and tried to give them a break but if they touch any of my food they contaminate it with a pungent fishy taste that just rubs me the wrong way. Yes, I have tried them all, hoping that the white anchovies from Italy would change my mind. However, I don't mind them if they are subtly added to a putanesca or things of that nature when the anchovies merely act as a form of salt, and the fishiness dissipates. If you love anchovies, go ahead and add them! For me a salad is a meal, it is the norm that we will consume an enormous bowl of greens and call it a meal. I grew up that way and will forever be that way. Can never have enough salad in my opinion. This is my take on the luscious and fairly rich Caesar salad.

Ingredients

recipe for 2

1 head of romaine lettuce (1/2 head per person, depending on size)
1 slice of ciabatta bread per person
1 small clove of garlic
1 lemon
tablespoon of dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
parmesan


Method


I plated this by giving the romaine heads a quick rinse in cold water and cutting the heads into quarters. It's best eaten with a fork and a steak knife. I don't mind a meatier salad, but if you prefer you can chop into bite size pieces and place into a bowl for easier consumption. Depending on the size of the romaine hearts a half of a head is usually a nice portion size. Also feel free to make croutons if preferable or grill the toast if you have access. This salad is flexible. For dressing add one tablespoon of dijon mustard, juice with half a lemon, salt and pepper. Using a garlic press or microplane finely grate a small piece of garlic. This almost creates a juice. No one wants a big chunk of garlic in their salad so keep that in mind and keep it subtle. Slowly add in olive oil while whisking to emulsify into a beautiful rich dressing. Taste and adjust to preference. I tend to like things a bit on the saltier and acidic side, to match up to the hearty greens. Drizzle dressing over top, serve with a toasted piece of ciabatta and shaved parmesan, fresh ground pepper on top. Easy peasy.

20 comments:

  1. For me, it looks just... prefect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of anchovies either. This looks really good. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No anchovies for me either. I was nervous before reading this after seeing the word caesar. But alas, it's anchovy free. I think I'll have to give this a try! As always, your images are stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the looks of this very much...deconstructed salads are my thing lately. Love it. And I might go make it for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot tell you how much my mouth started watering when I saw that photo. Love the plate, love the salad! (but I also do like anchovies. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat anchovies either. Needless to say I love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the recipes you're posting!! This looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked at a cafe where we used to make the salads very similar to this. We made traditional dressing with an egg yolk, but I much prefer your recipe... It seems very simple and straightforward. I also like the toasted bread that you added... it mixes things up! For example, I would eat this with salad bits on top of the bread. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit although I hate anchovies too, I can handle a ratio of about 2cups mayo/dressing to one anchovy and still be able to eat it. The addition of bacon bits throughout my ceasar also helps he he he.... I think this is a gorgeous ceasar and am totally making it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made a very similar salad this weekend, and find that garlic adds a plenty of pungent kick without any anchovy. Love how you keep the leaves together and serve it simply with grilled bread. Very classy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want this for dinner. Well, if I'm real honest, I want the exact one that's in the picture. It's perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this dressing last night and it was fabulous! I don't mind a traditional Caesar, but I think your version is better than one with anchovies and egg. It's going in my recipe box, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Much better than the chopped up caesar that hits every restaurant plate. Really smart. Btw, I think you need to find some good anchovies to make your dressing with. Nothing beats it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photo. I get hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate anchovies too!!!! Thanks for this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious!! I wish I had that plate in front of me right now. As always, your photos are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that this caesar recipe does NOT include anchovies. Gorgeous shot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just discovered your blog over on Miss Moss's site. I am excited to try your recipe for the untraditional caesar. Lovely images!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger