A few New York favorites...

12.26.2011

IMG_8905 5 IMG_8913

La Colombe Torrefaction

One of my favorite coffee shops in the city. While I may not drink coffee everyday, when I do, its special. La Colombe is a beautiful spot with fantastic coffee. When I used to work in Soho I would pop in regularly. They have three locations in NYC, two in Philadelphia, one in Chicago and another opening in South Korea. They roast and blend their own beans in their Philadelphia location. Learn more about them here.

4

Balthazar Bakery

Balthazar Bakery, why must you always pull me in? With your baguettes in the window and warm glowing lights and interior. I have eaten at Balthazar restaurant enough times to know that it is totally overpriced and the food is just ok. While many may disagree, I think there are far better restaurants in NYC for that price tag. While the interior is fabulous and the energy persuasive, I would just stick to grabbing a pastry. I am a sucker for freshly made croissants and they make a mean tartine with butter and homemade preserves. Proceed with caution, French pastries galore. You wont be able to control yourself, consider yourself warned. See more about Balthazar Bakery here.

6 3

Ochre & Canvas

One of my all time favorite furniture shops in the city. I visit regularly to gawk at all the high end furniture and plan the house of my dreams. Ochre and Canvas are both located in Soho and a new opened store in Chelsea. Ochre is the mother and Canvas is the adorable little daughter, which maintains ochre's richness with a slightly lower price tag. Ochres chandeliers would be one of my first purchases if I could choose from anything in the store. Then of course all their linens, ceramics, flatware, glasses etc. You may know Ochre through Ditte Isager's work here and here. Visit Ochre's website and Canvas here.

8

Cafe Habana

One word for you, elote. A Mexican street food that consists of an ear of grilled corn that is then layered with a brush of mayonnaise and coated in a cojita cheese, sprinkled in red chile and freshly squeezed lime juice. It is a party in your mouth and I suggest everyone to try it. My favorite elote in the city is from Cafe Habana, along with all the other food they serve. They are a Cuban restaurant but include many other Latin cuisines. If you dont want to wait for a table, pop over to their quick take out restaurant right next door. Elote in minutes. Other favorites include their chicken diablo sandwich and I love their beans, rice and spinach, simple but delicious. They have three locations; in Brooklyn, SoHo and Malibu. Visit their website here.

IMG_8945 9 IMG_8960

Tacombi Fonda Nolita

I've finally found the delicious Baha style fish tacos I've been searching for. I've been looking high and low for the best taco in NYC. I'm a huge fan of Rockaway Taco, but being that they are only open in the Summer I had to find something that would suffice. This little gem is on Elizabeth street in Nolita, though you feel as though you've been transported to Mexico. The tacos are prepared out of an old VW station wagon. I love the vibe of Tacombi and it takes me right back to the beach towns along the Rivera Maya. The food is fresh and vibrant. I order the beer battered fish taco with chipotle mayo and cabbage and its flavors pack a punch. Owned by the famous chef Aaron Sanchez, they have another location in Playa del Carmen, amongst his other restaurants listed here.

1 2

17 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous post. I'll be in NYC this summer and and want to try all of these! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've hit so many of my favorite spots from last summer in nyc! so happy to find someone who shares my opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, all of these looks like heaven. I'll be sure to pay that cafe a visit when I go to New York. I've never been but I would really love to go.

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice post. that we are Interior Decorators in chennai and Interiors Designing in chennai .That I will inform about your post to my friends and all the best for your future post..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! wow! wow! i am such a huge fan of your photos! good job!
    Happy holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That coffee looks delicious. Would love to have a cup like that tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to jump on the plane right now and go to New York to visit all these places!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to agree - that is one beautiful cup of coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried elote but it's definitely on my bucket list. It's fun to see all these different NY places together in one post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are making me want to take a trip to NYC STAT. I went this summer for a few days, but I can't get enough!! Who can say no to a day spent lounging around in a wide array of coffeeshops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow, what a fab lis tof places - when I visit (one day!) I'll be coming back to this post. PS that corn looks ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We LOVE Cafe Habana and visit everytime we're in the city! Hoping to visit for a long weekend in February and will definitely have to try a coffee from La Colombe and a pastry from Balthazar :) Thanks Nicole! Hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos! God I love NYC. This makes me want to visit again soon - the city and your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously, my mouth is watering after seeing the Mexican street corn. I am such a huge fan of those -- always make them in the summer. But, those authentic ones I'm sure blow mine right out of the water. :-p Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how i miss nyc - i have never been to la colombe there, but a few times in philly. they are mean, but their coffee is good (at least it was when i used to drink caffeine!)

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger