Watermelon Steaks with Feta, Mint & Citrus Juice

9.01.2011

IMG_6894IMG_6870

Is there anything more satisfying then a slice of juicy watermelon on a late Summer's day? Me thinks not. While at the market the other day I picked up a lovely little organic watermelon. A common pairing with feta cheese and mint but with the addition of a dressing made of honey and citrus juice makes this a stunner. You could make this into a salad, but why would you? When you can have a beautiful slab of watermelon topped with all that goodness. Keeping the texture and allowing all the little components to pop in your mouth. Sea salt really makes a difference here, please dont use crappy salts. Crappy salts make food taste bad. My take on a watermelon and feta salad.

Ingredients

1 small organic watermelon
container of high quality feta cheese
fresh mint from your garden ;) if you have one
maldon's sea salt

dressing

spoonful of honey
splash of lemon and orange juice
olive oil
salt

Method

Slice watermelon into quarter inch thick slices. Place on a plate and top with crumbled feta cheese, and mint leaves. In a small bowl add the honey, lemon & orange juice. Add a pinch of salt and whisk in olive oil slowly. Taste and adjust. A little sweetness should shine through with a mellow citrus punch. Drizzle the dressing over top and finish with some extra flakes of sea salt. Flavor explosion in the mouth.

13 comments:

  1. This recipe is simply perfect! I love it. I'm with you on crappy salts. You gotta use the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea! This looks so healthy and delicious, I'll have to try this before the summer comes to an end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Nicole! Perfect combination in my opinion - I also do love to cut up the melon and add bacon. That hot salty/cold sweet combo is heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe - so fresh and summery... I make it a lot but not with the honey/citrus dressing - I'm going to have to try it. Thanks!

    PS a sprinkling of pumpkins seeds goes well with this dish too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that watermelon looks absolutely amazing!! I want I want like right now!! Thanks for sharing this such a simple delight. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm i had something similar to this a while ago and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dish and composition. The watermelon on the plate looks like a little painting. It sounds delicious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmm. gorg. and looks delicious!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one's definitely a keeper because it has each and every single ingredient that I love love love!! BOOKMARKED!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The B&W photo is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic, refreshing combination. When I was a culinary school student (I wrote about it here, if you're interested: "Culinary School: Three Semesters of Life, Learning, and Loss of Blood," on Amazon Kindle - http://amzn.to/oqXw1R) I made something like this, and I crave it whenever the weather gets nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love yout photos! And the WM looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this combination and adore your presentation here...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger