Taos Farmer's Market & New Mexican Food

8.19.2011

IMG_5343
Arroyo Seco
IMG_5400
Taos Ski Valley
IMG_5163
IMG_5233
NM
IMG_5192
NM2

While I was home in Taos, my mom and I visited the local Farmer's Market. A very cute little market hosted on Saturdays. People took pride in their cute stalls and the veggies were delicious. The sun kisses everything in New Mexico. Every morning I would sit in my mom's backyard just to absorb the warm Taos sun on face. On the side of her house grows wild flowers, sage and trees. The air is fresh and fragrant.

The days are warm and dry, the evenings are chilly. Taos is considered a high desert at about 7,000 feet in elevation. You will find rough and wild desert terrain scattered with sage brush, pinon trees and cactuses that flower with the slightest touch of water. Along the river you will find lush green valleys, cows and buffalo in a distance. In the winter we ski and in the summer we raft down the river.

Taos is in interesting place filled with artists and creative types, with hispanic and native american cultures running deep. Makes for an interesting melting pot. I never appreciated the light as much as I did this last trip. The sunsets are vibrant, the skies royal blue and the night skies black with as many stars as the eyes can see.

IMG_6031
IMG_6044
Orlando's Restaurant
NM3
Orlando's Restaurant

New Mexican food is special, its original and nothing else compares. It has strong Mexican influences but has adapted and changed over time. Chips and guacamole, margaritas and all the lovely Mexican staples are prominent and available in most places. We eat tons of chile. Plain and simple, Green or Red? they will ask. Most people have a favorite but some combine both, we call it Christmas. Your plate decorated in both red and green chiles.

Green chile is grown locally. Hatch chilies to be more specific are some of the most well known and have the best reputation. Every Autumn, people buy sacks of chilies to be roasted and then frozen over the Winter months. To make stews, sauces and soups. Red chile is just as common but usually made from dried red chiles. They smother green chile on everything. Its mild-hot heat with a nice smokiness and richness that pack a punch. It adds a nice bite to just about anything. Green chile smothered burritos, on cheeseburgers, on french fries (my favorite) and just about anything you can imagine. New Mexican culture and food is quite divine and I recommend trying it sometime in your lifetime :)

14 comments:

  1. Great,great colors!!!Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, explosive colors all over the place here! given my affinity for spicy food, i think i'd quite like it there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying your blog as my newest favorite! The photos are just outstanding. Also, I don't very much about New Mexico so that was a wonderful photo tour. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm... I'm so sold on the green chile over fries! So need to try that. I'd love to visit Taos sometime--I studied the Picuris and Taos Native American languages back in college and early on in grad school, so it would be fun to actually visit the area!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BLOWN AWAY BY THE COLORS!!! wow!!! I have to got there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely story told in your colorful photos! The food, the people, and the scenery combines beautifully. I definitely need to put Taos on my places to visit list. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole the pictures are so beautiful and Taos sounds a little bit like my hometown in the south of Italy where I am spending my holidays right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could book a flight to Taos (during summer to enjoy that sun and light) and try that Christmas chile(s).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shots. Looks like a place I'd be fond of in no time flat. The colours, foods, everything. Glad you had a great vacation home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such gorgeous pictures, the colors are amazing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are stunning! I am a new reader to your blog, and I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! All of that sounds and looks amazing. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Green chile cheeseburgers and fries sound amazing! I just found your blog and am so glad I did, your photos are really beautiful (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was cruising around the web today and found your site. I found the photo's to be outstanding.

    Rand Rensvold
    www.newmexicochileproducts.com

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger