Sugar Snap Peas with Radish, Cress, & Thyme

6.06.2011

Union Square GreenmarketSugar Snap Peas with Radishes, Thyme & Cress


This is seriously, one of the most delicious salads I've made in awhile. I realize that I post a lot of salads, mostly because it's what I love to eat. Ingredients change through out the seasons but I make my salads pretty much the same way. Olive oil with choice of acid sometimes lemon or an array of vinegars. I LOVE the combination of super fresh vegetables with the addition of salt and vinegar. It's heaven in my mouth. Most store bought salad dressings are seriously awful. They are dull and heavy. I like to be able to taste my food and know whats in it. Dressing a salad is not difficult and there is no reason to spend money on store bought dressings. Most of the salads I make take no longer then 5-10 minutes.

Peas are finally here, it has been a very late season for us on the East Coast. I picked up a pound of sugar snap peas, some radishes and watercress. I love the bold spicy flavors of greens like arugula and rocket, watercress, mustard greens, mizuna, etc. Add some more spicy radish and then the sweetness from the sugar snap balances everything out, it's pure harmony in your mouth.


Ingredients

Sugar Snap Peas
Radishes
Watercress
Thyme
Sea Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil (Lucini Italia Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
White Wine Vinegar (Lucini Italia Pinot Grigio Vinegar)

Method

In a small pot boil water and add a pinch of salt. Blanch sugar snap peas until tender about 2 minutes. Drain and shock in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Drain and allow to dry. Add washed watercress to a bowl and add the sugar snap peas. Thinly slice radishes into the greens. Using a mandolin is best. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and one tablespoon vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust to personal taste. Top with a little fresh thyme.


Lucini Italia

A quick note, a few weeks back I was contacted by the lovely people at Lucini Italia. They offered to send me some of their delicious products to try. They had found my work/recipes and saw how much I use olive oil and vinegars in my cooking. No pressure on their side to actually push it on my blog. Well they most definitely deserve a mention, in fact I am in love with the company. I am addicted to their products and I can't get enough of it. Thinking about it now, I am actually going to go make something as soon as I finish this post.

There is a little story behind this that I wanted to share. There is something out there that is not very common. It's called good customer service. You find it in the best restaurants, high quality products and from people who take pride in what they do. Those people take extra steps in assuring your satisfaction with the brand/product. It's not very common and when you do receive that high level of service you remember it forever. For me it was a very long and difficult day at work and I was beyond exhausted. The thought of cooking was not even tolerable. I came home surprised to find the box full of treats from Lucini Italia. In addition they sent me some of their tomatoes sauces to try. With a little note saying "When you're too tired to cook". It could not of come at a better time and I seriously got a little teary with relief. The feeling that someone was actually cutting me a break. The sauce was delicious, I put it on top of some rice with some sautéed kale. My perfect easy, no fuss, go to meal when I dont have the energy to cook. I will forever remember that gesture and I appreciated it immensely. I urge you to try their products, not only because they taste delicious but because they love what they do and it shows. Learn more about their products and find where to buy near you.

Visit Lucini Italia's website here

15 comments:

  1. My garden is exploding with salad greens and radishes right now, so keep those salad recipes comin! Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'm also a salad junkie so I very much enjoy these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just perfect Nicole! I love salads as well, especially in spring when all produce is so young and fresh! Beautiful colours in this one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, first shot is just breathtaking and i LOVE that yellow bowl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have never thought of putting a bright colors salad in a vibrant and bright colored bowl but you make it look SO refreshing and sexy! :-)
    Nothing better than a bowl full of greens with your favorite dressing for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely and perfectly timed package- it really is a treat when a purveyor cares!

    I, too, am a salad lover to keep them coming- I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel like is spent my whole sunday cutting watermelon, rinsing berries, and preparing salads for the week. well worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous! Will be trying this combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are fabulous - how luxurious to have bunches of thyme that big. The salad really appeals too. I'm all for promoting food producers who do what they do with integrity and passion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made nearly the same salad the other day. I will post it on my blog. The interesting thing in my salad that I bought purple sugar snap peas not the green one! :)

    Your photos are beautfiul as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those produce photos are breathtaking, and this recipe looks wonderful. What an unexpected combination of vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your.blog.is.amazing. So glad I stumbled upon it.

    And so glad you live in Brooklyn! I move back to Manhattan on Saturday!

    - S from Following the Walkers

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum! loving simple summer salads! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to pair sweet snap peas with all those spicy vegetables. Thyme just might be my favorite herb!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love sugar snap peas and good ways to utilize them are always welcome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger