Iced Chamomile Sun Tea

6.08.2011

IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1609.jpg
IMG_1625.jpgChamomile Sun Tea

It's amazing how smells can trigger memories. When I was walking through the Farmer's Market it happened. A wave of nostalgia and stream of memories. I took a few more sniffs of the fresh chamomile and tried to place the memory. It is distinctly different from the dried version, which I often handle. I couldn't quite grasp the exact moment in time but it took me back.

I remember moving to Taos as a child in the peak of summer time. My mother had been been offered a job in Taos, New Mexico. Her job was located in a beautiful compound at the base of Taos mountain, surrounded by Native American land. No one can build there so the land sits untouched. Fields of crisp green grass with cows and buffalos roaming in a distance. The store was placed in these gorgeous old wood buildings amongst winding paths of wild flowers, trees and ponds. It was a wild playground for me and I would often hang out in the gardens. I used to pick these flowers, I remember the raw scent on my hands. Smelling them today I was taken back as if it were yesterday. Amazing how a scent can do that.


Ingredients

for chamomile tea
1 bunch of fresh chamomile
water
ice

for chamomile syrup
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of water

Method

Give the chamomile a good rinse. Place half of the chamomile flowers into a container with water. Allow to steep in the sun for the afternoon. Today it was 90 degrees and plenty of sun so this is ideal for sun tea. In a sauce pan heat 2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar. Once the water comes to a boil and the sugar is evaporated turn off heat and add the remaining chamomile. Allow to steep into the simple syrup until cool. Remove flowers once the syrup has infused (about an hour). This syrup is delicious and can be used in a variety of ways. Pour sun tea over ice, finish with the chamomile syrup. Very light, sweet and subtle. A delicious summer drink.

17 comments:

  1. ooh nicole, these pictures are gorgeous! absolutely love the colors in the last shot. i love chamomile and will have to try this iced version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful! I want to sip this in a sundress at an outdoor party in a field while listening to blue grass :)

    www.myfarefoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scent that brings me back: I grew up in Arkansas and in the summer wild onions grow everywhere. I remember riding my bike through the onion scented air. When I walk through the farmers market in Colorado and catch a whiff of onion, I'm 10 years old again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great. Be careful with herbal sun tea though, if the tea doesn't have caffeine to kill the natural bacteria that occurs by steeping in the sun you can get really sick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Per usual, these photos are gorgeous! And, lately I'm on a huge iced tea kick, so I can't wait to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so beautiful - you've started my morning with some sunshine of a different kind to the sort I get here in the Middle East. Really, really love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first black and white photo is s.t.u.n.n.i.n.g!

    And mmmmm, I bet that tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will definitely try this one,looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm growing chamomile for the first time this year and so far they're sprouting nicely in the garden. I can't wait to make your tea! This is why I bought the seeds, to make tea and also because they grow into such beautiful flowers too. Your photos are so inspiring, I always love visiting your beautiful blog!
    Natasha xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks refreshing AND beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much! I LOVE your blog and photos.
    Best wishes Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely photos- summer captured perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gorgeous photos are just making me get out of the door and get those gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post. Taos sounds like paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was simplicity at it's perfection!
    Fell in love with your photos too... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. aw lovely pictures of the tea

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger