New Amsterdam Market

6.20.2011

4

Tucked away right in front of the Old Fulton Fish Market lies the New Amsterdam Market. I went last year as the season was ending. This time it was much bigger and full of people. Located right near Pier 18 in downtown Manhattan. This market has a mixture of farms and local food stalls. It's every Sunday from 11-4. After you try a wide variety of yummy treats from the market you can walk to the waterfront and watch all the boats and the busy NYC waterways. Bask in the sun and relax. I am becoming more and more obsessed with outdoor food markets where I can get a taste of everything, as opposed to sitting in a restaurant.

1

Learn more about New Amsterdam Market on their website here.

5

I tried two different food spots while I was here. I had a grilled cheese with the addition of swiss chard from the people of Morris grilled cheese. They actually use a real grill so the flavors are dynamite.

3

After, I had a lovely shaved ice from people's pops. They freshly shave an ice block right in front of you, then drizzle it with homemade syrups. I had a combination of Rhubarb and Plum. Fantastic for a hot summers day. Addicted. They also had fruit pops which I want to try.

2

11 comments:

  1. I adore open air markets too. When I travel, I basically plan day trips around the local market's opening and closing hours. I love how they can make you feel like you are stepping back in time, and how you are part of a smaller community. Great post!

    www.myfarefoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! So many great pictures. You really captured a "Sunday" feeling so different from the hectic farmers market I experienced this weekend in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic shots Nicole.... Especially the one of the tomatoes in the crate!! The colours are so crisp and beautiful. I love reading about your New York news on your blog. Such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've heard good things about this place. you've confirmed my suspicions with your beautiful pics. i need to ride my bike down there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This market looks great.I go to market every saturday and love it..but this one...waaaauuu...amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh, Shaved Ice!!! We call them Piragua in Puerto Rico. They're frozen sweet pieces of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are always so stunning and always manage to make me so hungry too! ;) Goodness that grilled cheese looks amazingly delicious! I also love going to outdoor food markets, i'm planning to go to one of our local markets this weekend and I can't wait to get a taste of everything there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me want to get on a plane and fly to NYC right now! Lovely photographs, as usual. What kind of camera do you use?
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. love these photos - absolutely awesome. particularly enjoy the guy shaving the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing better than shopping and eating at the fresh food markets! Thankfully farmer's markets run around the year here in Sydney so I won't have to miss out even if it is winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos are terrific. I like them all!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger