Restaurant :: La Follia

5.30.2011

IMG_0446.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0475.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0420.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg

A few weeks back, I shot this adorable restaurant in the Gramercy area. As a photographer every shoot is something new and different. I take away new knowledge every time. When I shoot restaurants they rarely have the funds to pay stylists. So I have to be both. I would say it's not my strongest skill, but I do think I am getting better and better with practice. Designing my home and having an eye for details have been beneficial in this area. But styling for photos is entirely different and new territory for me. Creating different levels, composition and focal points. The best way to learn I have found is looking at other peoples work and gaining inspiration, and through tons of practice.

Everyone starts out somewhere and it's the road along the way that is important. I can be pretty hard on myself about my work. But sometimes you need to step back and look at your accomplishments. I realize that I have come a pretty long way in a short period of time. I have to give myself a little pat on the back. Instead of only thinking about the future and where I want to be and how I will get there. Trying to find my particular style and where I want to take my work is the next step. I am on that road and learning as I go, being as passionate as I can be and hopefully it will lead me to good places.

La Follia
226 3rd Ave (between 19th St & 20th St)
New York City
(212) 477-4100

18 comments:

  1. i think you did a pretty damn good job with the styling. love the first and last shots. so summery and clean feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos- I would totally sit down at the table and dig into the food. Love the black & whites too, you definitely captured the mood. I think one of the most exciting things about photography is developing a style that is uniquely yours. That is the goal, not taking perfect pictures. It's all about growing and become more you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! The styling is great, and the light is pretty perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, your photography AND your food styling is beautiful!

    I recently took a natural food photography class with Matt of Matt Bites and his partner and food stylist Adam. They are the food photography and food styling tag team to beat all! But you're right, in the real world, many times photographer must rise to the occasion to do food styling too. And you did it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a fabulous job Nicole, these photos look fantastic! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say you have done a wonderful job; I want to eat everything on these photographs while simultaneously fawning over the beautiful styling and photography.

    Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my opinion your job is fantastic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The restaurant looks very inviting, and the food delicious. I especially like the b / w photos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you've really captured the essence of this restaurant! Beautiful!! I want some of that crostini :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous photos! great styling and composition, looks so quaint and cosy

    http://blogoftheprettythings.blogspot.com/

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh......all that pasta looked amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As someone who is just learning the basics of photography (i.e. how to use a camera), your work is hugely inspiring to me. I actually like the styling in the above photos much more than some more stylized shoots I've seen. It's cleaner and simpler and the photos remind me of meals I've eaten with my own Italian family. Gorgeous and evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are gorgeous. I love the shot that you caught with the grandparents and the little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These food shots are AMAZING - how do you do it?! You are super talented. :)

    ~Kirsten @ Triple Max Tons

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your shots are brilliant and I love the mix of black and white and the food. It makes me want to visit the restaurant so much - so job done. Love the little girl action shot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your styling and photography is simply beautiful. If I have to use one word for your styling I'd call it effortless. Keep up the good work girl!

    PS. I want to eat everything in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, boy, do I ever know where you're coming from! Like you, I can be pretty tough on myself (especially when it comes to styling!), but I find it's really helpful to not only look at my work with a negative-critical eye, but a positive one. Judging what really works and learning to build on that is such a fun process.

    You've really developed your own beautiful, elegant style, and I have quite a few of your images pulled for inspiration! Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG ! I just remembered the name of this restaurant I used to go to a lot when it used to be in Paris ! And now it's in NYC ??? Wow ! You guys are so lucky ! I miss their orrechiette wih tomato, garlic and parmesan

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger