Grilled Treviso with Watercress and Creamy Blue Cheese

5.16.2011

IMG_0181IMG_0246

This salad and I go way back. Back into my high school days of bussing tables at a small restaurant in Taos, NM. I was around the age of 14 and my interest in food was taking a whole new spin. I would stand at the line peering into the kitchen and ask the chefs whatever I could. Why? Why do you do that? What did you put in this? 12 years later I still do the exact same thing. Bugging the poor kitchen staff. Insisting on learning everything I can. 14 years of culinary education right there. While none of this has been hands on, as if I were to actually be cooking in these places. I still took much of the information to heart.

This restaurant has been consistently fabulous for over 20 years. While its original owners sold recently, the legacy still lives on. I started as a busser, traveled, went back and served, then even managed. They taught me extremely valuable tools that I use until this day. It was a small house and we were a family. They are some of the best people I've ever worked for. They taught tons of young adolescents valuable tricks of the trade. Which I do believe helped all of us work better, more efficiently and even more importantly, passionately. Love you Lambert's :) Their salad was of grilled radicchio placed atop a bed of greens smothered in creamy danish blue cheese. This is my take on it.

IMG_0240IMG_0193

This salad is ideal in the Spring/Summer months when the grill is fired up. Super easy, minimal prep and really fast. You can use any of the bitter greens; treviso, radicchio, or endive. When cooked these greens loose their bitterness and gain major flavor. Since I live in a small apartment and I dont have access to a BBQ. I used a grill pan. I hope to change peoples opinion of these bitter greens. As for this is not your average salad but one of richness. The creamy blue cheese really compliments the charred flavors.


Ingredients

1 head of treviso
1 bunch of watercress
5 tablespoons of blue cheese
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Method

Heat your grill or grill pan to med- high heat. Cut teviso in half and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place face down on the grill. Allow to grill for about 3-4 minutes a side, depending on thickness. Wash watercress and place on the bottom of a plate. In a small bowl crumble blue cheese, add vinegar, olive oil and season. Taste and adjust to desired taste. Fan the treviso on the watercress and drizzle with blue cheese dressing around the plate. Finished! See how easy :) This would be great for entertaining.

21 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    this post's photos are so-so beautiful. I'm amazed! The recipe is delicious, I'll make this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of grilled treviso. This looks so delicious and I can't wait to fire up the BBQ...or my grill pan!
    -www.myfarefoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is stunning! I especially love the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to grill some green- but I've often feared that it wouldnt work out. I will be using your method to guide me through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I have a bag of watercress from the farmers market, and I've been trying to find something fun to do with it...this sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there's so much merit to hands-on learning - I think it's equally valuable! (Especially given all the debt following culinary school.) And this salad, well, it looks ridic! Waitin' on a warm day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a stunning dish Nicole! Beautiful combination of flavours too, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got to stop and look when I see a recipe with blue cheese especially when the pictures are as appealling as yours. Very lovely in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! There are no words for how delicious this looks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just been browsing through your blog, and you have amazing pictures and such good looking food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so amazing! I love the combination of flavorful greens and creamy blue cheese...and recipes that stay with you over time. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe looks delicious and the photos are spellbinding. Gorgeous blog. Simply can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! I love treviso too! Sometime I roast it with balsamic vinegar :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prettiest photo of radicchio ever! Love the simplicity of this dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks so amazing. love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Così semplice eppure così delicato, specialità stupefacente.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am looking recipes for BBQ for summer parties. BBQ is a great crowd please and assist to bring the family together. Please suggest some quick tips to make sure your BBQ experience is safe and fun.

    recipes for bbq

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simple, yet extremely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It should be so tasty with blue cheese. You made me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger