Radish Love

5.09.2011

SpringradishIMG_8995

I have one very fond memory of my grandfather. When I was around 7 years old, I was at his home during the summer. He ate radishes with sea salt from his garden. It may of been the first time I ate radishes or maybe not but its the first radish memory I had. I have always been fond of radishes spicy flavors. They fit into a wide variety of dishes. This is one of my favorite ways of eating them. Simply on buttered toast with a sprinkle of Maldon's sea salt. I added some avocado in addition, one of my other loves. The combination is divine.

Butter + Radish + Sea Salt = Bliss

IMG_9032IMG_9066


Spring Radish & Avocado Toasts

Toast Bread + Spread Butter + Add thinly sliced Avocado & Radish + Top with Sea Salt = Love


beansalad

White Bean Salad with Radish, Capers, Walnuts & Ramp Pesto

Ingredients

1 can of white beans (garbanzo, navy or cannelini)
assorted radishes and green tops
handful of walnuts
capers
ramp pesto (or any high quality herb pesto)
fresh oregano or any herb
red wine vineagar
olive oil
sea salt and pepper

Method

Rinse white beans and place into a bowl. Add thinly sliced radishes, I use a mandolin. Finely chop a handful of walnuts and add. Throw in some capers and fresh oregano leaves. I added a few leaves off the radish tops. Add a dollop of pesto and mix. Add about a teaspoon of vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Season and taste. Serve room temperature. This is just an example of an easy spring salad. It is fast and holds well in the fridge. Great for a party or to take to for lunch.

Ramp Pesto

1 bunch of ramps (wild leek)
1 bunch of fresh basil
1/4 pound of walnuts
1/4 cup of grated parmesan
olive oil
sea salt and pepper

Wash ramps well and be sure to remove any grit around the leaves and roots. Finely chop the green tops of the ramps. Wash and do the same with the basil. About 2 handfuls of each and place into the food processor. Then add a 1/4 of a cup of grated parmesan. In a small saute pan on low heat, toast walnuts. Add walnuts and pulse until smooth, slowly adding olive oil while blending (about 4 tablespoons). Season with salt and pepper, then taste. Adjust seasoning and add more olive oil if needed. Blend until smooth. The flavors pack a punch!

IMG_9073

17 comments:

  1. I must taste it, it looks delicious. Beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just recently started to enjoy radishes- their characteristic zing was far too advanced for my old self. I shall have to try these radish recipes- as you are a long time lover of the radish, I trust your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this recipe - I'm always wanting to try radishes when I see their gorgeous color popping out at me from farmer's market - but I haven't come across a good recipe. Definitely will be trying this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never know what to do with ALL the radishes from my CSA box..now, i have more ideas. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the colors are absolutely stunning here! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by - what a beautiful site you have. Simply stunning photos! Will be following from now on (via flickr too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wow, I love radishes and also just posted on the little French ones I found the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only recently come to radishes but love them! I've kind of been stumped on how to use them more and more, so I'm so glad that I've seen this! I can't wait to try radishes and avocado on toast - I love LOVE avocado. Thanks Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading a lot of posts lately from food bloggers who (GASP) dislike radishes. I am so pleased to find a fellow radish lover. I was beginning to doubt my taste. What a relief....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Radishes are just so gorgeous! I love this salad and the ramp pesto sounds just amazing! I'll have to see if I can find ramps here, I never remember seeing them at the markets or farms I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love radishes too! That salad looks so delish - hope I get a chance to make that ramp pesto before they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful post! The spring radish & avocado toasts sound divine yes, I will be trying your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe I haven't seen your blog before, your photos and recipes are beautiful. This recipe is such a lovely tribute to radishes :)
    - Kelsey (Happyolks.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds great! I recently got some Himalayan pink salt and organic peppercorns from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I'll have to try them out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I eat a lot of avocado mashed on toast with sea salt but haven't thought to add radish. Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. radishes with sea salt is super yummy. I love to add coconut oil to them.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete
  17. La Torontoise12/11/13, 7:00 AM

    Nicole, I love white beans, found your recipe via Food52; just made this salad; it turned out sublime!!
    Because of the winter season, I user leek to make the pesto, which turned out delicious, too.
    Have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger