Warm Farro Salad with Tomatoes, Basil & Feta

2.01.2011

Warm Farro Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Basil & Feta

Ingredients

for salad

2 cups of farro
cherry tomatoes
fresh basil
greek feta cheese

for vinaigrette

1 shallot
1 large lemon
capers
olive oil
sea salt & pepper

Method

Rinse two cups of farro and place into a pot. Add about 4 cups of water and about 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring water and farro to a boil, turn down heat to a simmer. Allow to cook for 30-45 minutes to desired texture. Drain any remaining water and allow to cool. While the farro is cooking prepare your vinaigrette. Mince one shallot, add the zest of one large lemon and juice of half. Season with sea salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil until desired flavor. Add a few tablespoons of capers. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place in the vinaigrette. Once farro has cooled add to the mixture and toss well. Add fresh basil leaves and crumbled feta cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Vibrant, fresh, and simple to make.

14 comments:

  1. My today's recipe has farro in it as well!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I've never heard of Farro, is it similar to bulgur?? Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sounds delicious. I don't know farro either, is it like quinoa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey ladies, Farro is a delicious grain. You will see it a lot now days in recipes. The texture is most similar to wheatberry but cooks much faster.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farro

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you are all on the East Coast but my favorite farro comes from Bluebird Grain Farms. http://www.bluebirdgrainfarms.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummers! I love farro too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and colorful! Perfect for brightening up a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just a delicious recipe!... I´ll keep it and make it this week. The blog is wonderfull... kisses from Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of dish. Simple, elegant and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe and delicious looking photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I´m making this! it looks amazing!
    When you come to BA we can do a shared post!
    Love, como.come.cami

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I made this for lunch yesterday and it was super delicious! Light but kept me full throughout the day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple, ideal for lunch.. Will make this with the last tomatoes I can find before autumn arrives.

    ReplyDelete

 

© La Buena Vida All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger